This Spicy Tomato Macaroni and Cheese is one of our new favorite side dish recipes and could not be easier to make! We have used it in the place of regular macaroni and cheese as well as a side dish to ham, pork tenderloin, pork chops and chicken. The blend of flavors is excellent and sure to give your taste buds a treat! Macaroni will never be the same if you give this recipe a try. The best part is, the majority of you will already have most of the ingredients on hand.
Spicy Macaroni and Cheese
- 8 oz. of uncooked penne pasta
- 1/4 cup of butter or margarine
- 1/2 of a medium onion - chopped
- 1 - 8oz. loaf of Mexican Velveeta, cut up into cubes (you can substitute other brands if you wish)
- 1 - 8oz. carton of sour cream
- 1 - 10oz. can of Rotel, drained (or other brand of diced tomatoes and green chiles)
Cook pasta according to package directions and drain well. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add the onion. Cook onion for 3-5 minutes or until it becomes tender. Add cheese to the skillet and stir constantly. Cook for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Stir in the sour cream and blend well. Stirring constantly, add the pasta and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.
If you wish to tame the spicy flavor, you can use regular Velveeta and Mild Rotel. Enjoy!
I acquired this recipe from and older edition of Southern Living.
Popularity: 1% [?]